Defence Says – By Latrishka Thomas
Defence Says Move Forward
The wheels of justice are grinding to a halt in the case of a woman accused of killing a nine-year-old girl, as her defence counsel warned the court yesterday that his client cannot be left to languish in prison indefinitely while prosecutors prepare their case.
When he appeared before Chief Magistrate Ngaio Emanuel in the St John’s Magistrates Court yesterday, Wendel Alexander called for the court to either move forward with the proceedings or dismiss the charges against Angela Mejia, who has been behind bars since her arrest nearly a year ago.
“There is prejudice to a defendant who is lingering at His Majesty’s Prison,” Alexander told the court, highlighting the personal toll of repeated postponements on his client.
The hearing was the fifth time the case has been adjourned, prompting the defence to formally request dismissal for want of prosecution. Alexander emphasized that the matter demands urgency, particularly given the extraordinary level of public scrutiny it has attracted.
He revealed that a second bail application was made at the previous hearing but proved unsuccessful, leaving Mejia to await trial from her prison cell.
Chief Magistrate Emanuel granted a final adjournment, setting a March 18 deadline and deliberately shortening the usual postponement period to just one month. The court heard that the case file remains under review by the Director of Public Prosecutions.
On March 18, the magistrate will conduct a committal hearing to determine whether sufficient evidence exists to send the case to the High Court for trial. If prosecutors fail to present an adequate case, the defence’s request for dismissal could succeed, potentially freeing Mejia from custody.
The charges stem from the tragic death of Chantel Crump, whose naked body was found in the Weatherills area on March 15, 2025. According to reports, the child had been taken by a woman in a vehicle near her home in the days leading up to the grim discovery.
The case has gripped public attention since Mejia’s initial arrest, making the mounting delays all the more frustrating for both the defence and those seeking justice for the young victim.





